CCDC CELEBRATES THE GRAND RE-OPENING OF THE GROVE PLAZA ON WEDNESDAY, JUNE 7, 2017May 2, 2017
Shook Twins headline a three-band lineup as Alive After Five returns to the Award-Winning Plaza
CCDC, Boise’s redevelopment agency, will welcome the community back to The Grove Plaza with a grand re-opening event on Wednesday, June 7. CCDC is pleased to partner with the Downtown Boise Association on this event, which also marks the return of the “Alive After Five,” Boise’s free summer concert series, to The Grove Plaza. The 2016 series was hosted off-site to accommodate the plaza’s renovation.
CCDC enhanced this award-winning space in the heart of downtown Boise with large shade umbrellas, ample seating, public restrooms, and installation of a new state of the art public fountain. The new fountain, sponsored by Suez, boasts 25 customizable pop jets on a 30-foot square splash pad, larger than the previous fountain’s footprint. Each jet is programmable, allowing for a wide variety of dynamic scenes with water shooting 20 feet in the air, coordinated to music and lit by full-color spectrum LED lights. The fountain is programmed to adjust to different times of day, and offers the highest level of water safety made possible by high-tech filtration and recirculation systems that meet the latest in national health code standards.
The grand re-opening celebration will begin at 4:15 p.m. with two opening sets by popular artists Steve Fulton and Ned Evett. After the rededication of the new public fountain, the Shook Twins take the stage for two sets to begin the 31st season of Alive After Five, Downtown Boise’s free summer concert series. The Shook Twins, Laurie and Katelyn, are Idaho natives who have attracted nationwide fans for their harmonies and eclectic, inventive mix of folk, roots, groove and soul.
Schedule for The Grove Plaza Re-Opening event and Alive After Five, June 7, 2017:
4:15 p.m. – Official Welcome
4:25 p.m. – On-stage Celebration Artist: Ned Evett, Boise’s “Master of the glass-necked guitar”
5:00 p.m. – Re-dedication Ceremony of the new Grove Plaza Fountain with Suez
5:15 p.m. – On-stage Celebration Artist: Steve Fulton Boise funk-rock-reggae singer-songwriter
6:15 – 8 p.m. – On-stage Celebration Artist: The Shook Twins Idaho folk-roots-soul duo
Look for more on the exciting line up of artists scheduled for Alive After Five coming soon from The Downtown Boise Association.
RENOVATION FACT SHEET:
- A new, interactive fountain with more jets, added lights, and dozens of programmed water displays. It remains flush to the surface to encourage interaction with the water and also to provide maximum flexibility for events on the plaza
- New brick pavers replaced broken and cracked bricks with modern paving pattern and a continuous surface for event and pedestrian flexibility
- 14,000 Original engraved bricks were re-engraved on to new bricks and
- 4,500 bricks sold during the 2015-2016 brick program
- Find your brick using the brick finder on thegroveplaza.com
- Public Restrooms with an attendant booth open June 7 on the west spoke
- New trees replaced the trees in decline – utilizing a suspended paving system that promotes faster tree growth, larger canopy size, and longer life span
- Freestanding umbrellas add supplemental shade
- Green storm water infrastructure will be utilized along with a high efficiency water-wise irrigation system
- Recycling stations in addition to trash receptacles
- New street lights with LED bulbs to enhance lights levels in the evening
- Free Wi-Fi access available to the public
- More bike parking located throughout the plaza
- The 7 old picnic tables will be replaced with 8 tables with umbrellas. In addition, 28 modern moveable tables with 96 moveable chairs we will placed out each day.
- New enhanced stage, with additional power and telecom in 4 locations
- New permanent speakers/sound system